Meet Dr. Thomas Vail, MD
Dr. Vail is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon with the Arthritis and Joint Replacement Center at UCSF Medical Center.
He is a specialist in total joint replacement, hip and knee preservation, and surgical treatment of arthritis and osteonecrosis.
Dr. Vail at a Glance
- In addition to clinical practice, he researches innovative bone implantation techniques for reconstruction and cartilage repair.
- A leader in his field, Dr. Vail is chair of orthopedic surgery at UCSF, and is on the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
If you have a hip or knee condition, discuss your options with Dr. Vail.
Dr. Vail is a member of The Arthritis and Joint Replacement Center at UCSF Medical Center
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Thomas Vail, MD Can Help You
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Osteoarthritis of the Hip
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Hip Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement (Unicompartmental Replacement / Patellofemoral Replacement / MAKOplasty)
- Total Knee Replacement
Accolades for Dr. Thomas Vail, MD
- Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco
- Fellowship, Reconstructive/Cosmetic Surgery - Duke University
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Association for Arthritis Hip and Knee Surgery
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Diplomat of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- Eastern Orthopaedic Asssociation
- Interurban Orthopaedic Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society
- The Hip Society
- The Knee Society
Office Information for Dr. Thomas Vail, MD
Profile last updated: May 25, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.