We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com. Learn more here.

Boys vs Girls, Men vs Women - Will it end?

dilaurodilauro New Milford, CT 06776Posts: 35
I think this has been a situation that has been going on for decades.  
I have personally witnessed this and honestly, it bothers me to see how some doctors and therapists treat the different sexes.

My daughter was a strong athlete, so played every sport hard and aggressive.  She played Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball.   When she was out there, she gave it her all, sacrificing her own body for the game.  As a result, she had a number of nagging injuries.   I remember one time, after several weeks of complaining about her shoulder during the basketball season, we took her to an orthopedic doctor.  He examined her and then with a smile put his hand on her knee and said, "Well we all know how girls can get"

I thought my wife was going to blow a gasket.  She torn into this doctor from one side to another.  She told him , How dare he speak to her like that.  If it was a boy sitting there, the doctor would have given him all the attention in the world and come up with some treatment plan.

And this doesnt just stop with younger children.  It carries on during their teenage years and then into young adulthood.  It isnt fair, it isnt just and it should stop.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager  I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• kimmy72kkimmy72 PennsylvaniaPosts: 2
    It's the year 2016, and yet girls are still handled as if they are "hysterical" or "neurotic" in some cases.  UGH.  Not only is that treatment archaic, it's downright discriminatory!!  I'm glad your wife said what she did. 
    I was speaking with a male member on one of our other sites, and he was telling me that this does go both ways--only for guys, it's more of a"toughen up", or "you're a guy--you can handle this" attitude that he's gotten from doctors. 
    I
    t'll be a great day when pain is seen through an androgynous lens.