Nagging ankle injury

Hey guys. I am 37 years old and have been dealing with a nagging ankle injury for a year or so now. I sprang it a couple of times as a teen. It seems my old sins are catching up with me. it hurts almost every day when walking or any activity. Right now i have totally stopped running or doing leg exercises. Also recently my hip is hurting on the same side. i have been to a doctor and got an x-ray and MRI. They didn't see any break or tears. Advice guys???

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro New Milford, CT 06776Posts: 32

Anytime I hear nagging ankle injuries , I think of two problems.

• A sprain that really never 100% healed
    • Achilles tendon

Sometimes with a sprain, having a clean break might provide better long term healing   

Once you have one part of your body starting to give problems, it creates an overload to compensate some place else.   Thats how you can get your hips hurting you know or perhaps for others back or neck.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager  I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi josiah1!

Welcome to Sports Health

A lot of times, especially when we get older, if we have an injury, arthritis sets in. Have you discussed this with your doctors or did they mention it?
    As Ron stated, compensating on body parts can sometimes effect other areas. It might be a good idea to get another opinion on the ankle before the hip gets too bad.

While you are waiting for other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below for more information.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Sports-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • josiah1jjosiah1 Posts: 1

Thanks guys. I am going to set up a visit to get another opinion. What are your thoughts on rehab exercises? 

• I think rehab and PT are very important when you have had an injury. They know what they are doing and will have the right exercises to fit your injury.

I do not have an injury, my is all spinal and nerves but I do my exercises every day that were recommended for me. I know what it has done for me.

Keep us posted when you get another opinion, we'd like to know how you are doing.
    Thanks and take care

Sandra
    Sports-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Jillybean079Jillybean079 TennesseePosts: 0

@josiah1 Ron gave some really good advice. First thing I thought was Achilles Tendon. Where is your pain located in your ankle? Does it go into your leg? Does it get worse with activity, or stay the same? I hope you get some answers from your doctor! Good luck!

Moderator-Spine Health
    DDD Ankylosing Spondylitis Bulging discs T12-L3 Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1 Moderate Central Canal Stenosis Moderate Foraminal Stenosis Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments Spinal enthesopathy L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 
  • advertisement
advertisement