Compression shorts or groin support?

As the title suggests it’s just a bit of advice needed really.

I’ve had a groin strain for the last year or so, I’ve been to the doctor and they are confident it’s not a tear or a hernia.

It comes and goes, sometimes I don’t feel anything for a week or so but then out of the blue (just from brisk walking sometimes) it comes back.

The doc has given me a number for some physiotherapy but I know it sounds silly but fitting in physio at the moment seems impossible. I’m thinking of looking online for some physio tips I can do at home but at the same time I want to give it a little more support  whilst in everyday life and at work.

So will compression shorts or a groin support work better?

Any advice greatly appreciated thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• garbo1977
    welcome to sports-health

to research your question, i went to the search box at the top right of the page and keyed in groin strain. scroll down and you will also find older discussions on this matter. 
    groin injuries involving the strain of muscles and tendons often respond well to the rice protocol, which stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation. to provide compression, you can wrap the inner thigh or groin area with elastic bandages,  wear compression garments or use athletic tape to help reduce swelling and stabilize the injury.

please click on the welcome link below for more information on the forum.
    welcome to sports-health and how to use the sysem

take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Sports-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you for your response and thank you for the welcome.

I will indeed take a look at how to use the forum and get better aquatinted with it but thank you for your help.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro New Milford, CT 06776Posts: 33

from my personal experiences, a groin supporter works better in the long run

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager  I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences