Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Welcome to Sports-Health Forums
We are using the same format and navigation as we do on Spine-Health
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Calf Problems

Hi there. I’m hoping I can find someone who may be experiencing similar issues with their calf muscle as I am. 

I’ll start at the beginning. I tore the gastroc muscle of my calf 5 years ago. Was in a boot for about 8 weeks and crutches for the majority of this time. It’s my right leg so this meant no waking or driving. Was very painful but as far as I knew had healed correctly and I slowly gained strength in it again. 

About 13 months ago I started experiencing pain in about the same area I experienced pain when I tore my calf. My leg started swelling up and I began limping around. I stopped all activities as this just aggravated it and made a Dr’s apt thinking I was going to tear it again as that’s how it felt. Went through 3 different ultra sounds & an MRI where they found nothing wrong with my calf muscle. One ultrasounds discovered a very small lump on my calf which my family Dr thought could be a lipoma and referred me to a surgeon to have this removed. At this time it had been roughly 8 months since the pain and swelling started and I’m still avoiding all activities. Saw the surgeon who pretty much told me could not help me and didn’t feel the lump (both my husband and I can feel it and it showed up on the ultrasound) and advised I needed to see an orthopaedic surgeon. I had seen an ortho with my tear so tried to get back in with him but was referred to someone new.  Finally get into see the new orthopaedic surgeon and he advised he can feel an abnormality in both of my calf muscles not just the one and thinking based on my symptoms maybe I have compartment syndrome. Fast forward to today where I finally have my pressure test scheduled. Run on the treadmill for 10 min. My leg feels sore and tight, lay on the bed for freezing, inject the needle, etc...and their actual pressure test box isn’t working. So frustrating. Laid there for 30 min while the Dr tried to find one that did work. No luck and am sent home. He did advise that he does not believe I have compartment syndrome but will see if my ortho wants to send me back to have the test completed. 

It would be an understatement to say I’m annoyed and frustrated. I feel like I’m just being bounced around to different Dr’s as no one knows what else to do with me. I’m not quite 40 years old and I find it hard to believe that this is just something I have to live with. 

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been experiencing something similar and if so what they’ve been through. Would be nice to talk to someone with the same problem...I feel like I’m losing my mind. I’ve also been doing physio for the past two months on a weekly basis...the area that is sore with activity is quite painful when touched/pushed/massaged and physio does not seem to be making it any better. 

advertisement

Comments

• sjbabensee
    Welcome to Sports-Health

I can honestly see why you are so frustrated, I would be too.
    But I have never experienced any of this but hopefully you will find someone to talk to. Go to the right to Forum Topics and click on leg and knee. Also, go to the search box at the top right of the page and use that for research. If you scroll down  you will find other discussions.

In the meantime, please click on the Welcome link below for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Sports-Health and how to use the sysem

Sandra
    Sports-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks Sandra I appreciate it!

• advertisement