Duretti Fufa, MD, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon. She practices in New York City and specializes in hand surgery. She has additional expertise in trauma, reconstruction, and microsurgery.
With training in both orthopedic and plastic surgery, Dr. Fufa's interests range from fractures and common hand and wrist problems, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, to complex wound coverage, limb salvage, and post-trauma functional enhancement.
Dr. Fufa’s research includes studies investigating the impact of the opioid epidemic in hand surgery. She is also involved in surgical education.
In addition to her clinical and research commitments, Dr. Fufa is interested in global medicine and has traveled to Germany, China, India, Honduras, and Ethiopia on medical exchanges.
- MD–Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship–Plastic surgery, trauma and microsurgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Fellowship–Hand and upper extremity surgery, Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
- Residency–Orthopedic surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, in New York, N.Y.
- Internship–General surgery, New York Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell, New York, N.Y.
- 2019 New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, Emmanuel Kaplan Award
- 2017 Emerging Leaders Program, American Orthopaedic Association
- 2017 Gelberman Scholar Award, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- 2017 Richard S Laskin, MD Young Attending Award, Hospital for Special Surgery
- 2014 American Society for Surgery of the Hand Young Leaders Program
- 2013 AO Trauma International Fellowship
- 2012 Overseas Chinese Affairs Council, Elite Scholarship
- 2012 Mayo Clinic-Chang Gung University Symposium in Reconstructive Surgery, Best Resident/Fellow Presentation award
- 2011 New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, Resident/Fellow research award
- 2009 American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand-Health Volunteers Overseas, Young Surgeon Traveling Fellowship
Areas of Specialty
- Hand and wrist surgery for hand fractures, wrist fractures, carpal tunnel, and other conditions
- Upper limb trauma
- Complex reconstruction of the upper and lower limb
- Functional and cosmetic surgery after trauma, replantation, burns
- Limb salvage
- Complex soft tissue wounds and reconstruction
- Post-traumatic deformity and dysfunction
- Free Tissue Transfer
Hospital of Special Surgery - Belaire Building
525 E 71st St 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10021